In this premium research note we present the 10 gigabyte basket EU28 & OECD country and operator ranking for 4G LTE
unlimited (>1,000) minute & SMS smartphone plans that include hotspot/tethering functionality for the entire volume.
- In all EU28 and OECD countries it is always a network operator that offers the lowest price for the 10 gigabyte basket of 4G LTE unlimited minute (>1,000) & SMS smartphone plans with tethering. Not MVNOs!
- In US, Germany, Canada, Japan, Spain, Belgium and Australia operators charge consumers 2 to 6 times more for the 10 gigabyte basket than in EU’s competitive Nordic and Baltic markets
- In the 4 to 3 consolidated German market Telefonica o2 and Vodafone charge 2 times more for 10 gigabytes than in the UK’s 4-operator mobile market
- In the Greek protected 3-operator market Deutsche Telekom charges 2 times more for 10 gigabytes than in the Netherlands were Tele2 is launching as the fourth operator
- UK and Dutch operators charge half of what German and Greek operators charge even though they paid more €/MHz/pop) for acquiring or renewing 800, 900, 1800 and 2600MHz spectrum
- The overwhelming majority of MVNOs in EU28 and OECD markets do not allow hostpsot/tethering functionality in their
Free summary and country ranking (1 page, pdf) »
Free version of operator ranking (MNO/MVNO names hidden) (1 page, pdf) »
Premium report and country ranking (3 pages, pdf) »
Premium version of operator ranking, showing all MNO and MVNO names (2 pages, pdf) »
List of all research reports and external articles
Featured research reports
Digital Fuel Monitor 7th
May 2017 (updated 22.05.2017)
The state of 4G pricing, mobile data usage, spectrum usage, network capacity utilization and fixed-to-mobile broadband substitution. After its comeback in 2016, in 2017 unlimited mobile data goes viral and spreads to 22 countries. And while in competitive markets such as France and Denmark consumers can buy 100 or unlimited gigabytes for less than €30, in tight mobile oligopoly markets such as Portugal, Greece and Hungary €30 hardly buys any gigabytes. Europe’s mobile data divide widens further: 200x more gigabytes for €30 in smartphone plans, 600x more gigabytes in mobile broadband plans, 200x difference in median gigabyte prices, 40x difference in mobile data usage per capita and spectrum usage.
The market is changing. Mobile data pricing and network economics metrics and research reports for industry professionals