Europe's first 700 MHz ("second digital dividend") radio spectrum auction has ended in Germany (combined with 900, 1800 and 1500 MHz bands. DFMonitor was live tracking the bids here.
The auction has ended.
* 700 MHz (new spectrum): Vodafone triggered bidding in round 165
* 700 and 900 MHz bids are less than a third of the final prices paid for 800 MHz blocks in 2010 in Germany (that time 4 players)
* 700 MHz reserver price in France (€416m per 5 MHz paired block) is over double than German bids, for less population
* 1800 MHz bids exceeded the benchmark of the competitive 4-player Italy auction outcome in 2011 (€0.26/MHz/pop)
* Overall bids were low, only a small fraction of the US 700 MHz (2008) and 1500 MHz (2014-2015) benchmarks
Rewheel's commentary after the auction:
"Five billion is a small fraction of the valuation of this spectrum mix based on the U.S. auction outcome, normalised for German population," said Antonios Drossos co-founder of Finnish telecoms advisory firm Rewheel.
The auction format was Ascending Simultaneous Multiround Auction ('SMRA')
Link to the Bundesnetzagentur's auction site: » here
Auction rules in English: (pdf) » here
Charts last updated: May 13 2020 20:28 Finnish time