Unlimited mobile data is back
The state of 4G pricing and spectrum usage, 2nd half 2016 DFMonitor 6th release
Full release report for DFMonitor-PRO
Whats new in the DFMonitor 6th release, 2nd half 2016
Unlimited mobile data is back Context and analysis
- Latest, September 2016, smartphone and mobile broadband plan data caps and prices from 135 operators and 57 MVNOs in EU28 & OECD are now public on DFMonitor.eu
Spectrum usage MB/year/MHz/pop per country (2015) and operator (2015 and 2Q2016)
- Which are the 29 operators that sell unlimited mobile data? Are prices affordable and what restrictions apply?
- How many gigabytes 30 buys across EU28 & OECD markets?
Mobile-first Context and analysis
- Total mobile data volume per country (2015) and per operator (2015 & 2Q2016)
- Monthly mobile data usage per capita (countries) and per SIM (operators)
List of over hundred zero-rated video and other apps in EU28 & OECD countries
- Which are the 42 mobile-centric operators that put mobile first (rather than executing a fixed-mobile strategy)?
- Do mobile-centric operators sell for the same price much higher data caps than fixed-centric operators?
- Do mobile-centric operators have much higher spectrum usage than fixed-centric operators?
List of tariffs in EU28 where tethering/hotspot functionality is blocked or restricted
- Which are the 35 operators that zero-rate or apply a differential price to selected video apps?
- Which are the 59 operators that zero-rate or apply a differential price to selected apps?
- Do operators that zero-rate video sell for the same price much lower data caps than operators that do not?
- Do operators that zero-rate video have much lower spectrum usage than operators that do not?
European Commission proposed wholesale data roaming cap of 8.5/GB compared to domestic retail gigabyte prices across EU28 markets
- Which operators and MVNOs block or restrict tethering/hotspot functionality in smartphone plans?
NOTE: Part of metrics are available in the DFMonitor-PRO
- Why the artificially high wholesale cap of 8.5/GB proposed by the Commission has little to do with real costs
- Why the reverse engineered wholeale cap of 8.5/GB will penalize North-Eastern operators with large data caps and competitive low prices while protecting South-Western operators' cartel-like roaming and domestic margins
- Will European consumers be able to use their domestic large (>5-10 gigabytes) or unlimited data volume plans or their zero-rated video applications and services when they roam abroad in a non-affiliated mobile network?
Subscription content PRO
release report(21 pages, pdf) »
List of all research reports and external articles
Featured research reports
Digital Fuel Monitor 7th
May 2017 (updated 22.05.2017)
The state of 4G pricing, mobile data usage, spectrum usage, network capacity utilization and fixed-to-mobile broadband substitution. After its comeback in 2016, in 2017 unlimited mobile data goes viral and spreads to 22 countries. And while in competitive markets such as France and Denmark consumers can buy 100 or unlimited gigabytes for less than 30, in tight mobile oligopoly markets such as Portugal, Greece and Hungary 30 hardly buys any gigabytes. Europes mobile data divide widens further: 200x more gigabytes for 30 in smartphone plans, 600x more gigabytes in mobile broadband plans, 200x difference in median gigabyte prices, 40x difference in mobile data usage per capita and spectrum usage.
The market is changing. Mobile data pricing and network economics metrics and research reports for industry professionals