The Commission proposed wholesale data roaming cap of €8.5/GB is anomalous and will distort competition in North-Eastern mobile markets where retail gigabyte prices are competitive
27.10.2016 with Response of EU Commission DG Competition (letter dated 27.10.2016) to Rewheel’s concerns.
Key questions answered
- How low should the wholesale data roaming cap be in 2017 to avoid the distortion of competition in North-Eastern domestic mobile markets where retail gigabyte prices are competitive?
- Why the European Commission’s cost modelling methodology is dubious (produces fictitious high gigabyte costs)?
- Why the Spanish regulator cost model (different consultant) produces five times higher gigabyte cost than the Commission’s model?
- Does seasonality significantly affect the cost of data roaming services? A South European mobile operator questioned the claimed size of the calculated data roaming cost per gigabyte!
- What is the financial impact challenger MNOs and MVNOs will face with the anomalous 8.5/GB wholesale cap?
- Why BEREC, MVNO Europe and a number of North-Eastern mobile operators warned the Commission that the proposed wholesale data roaming cap will raise domestic prices, weaken competition and increase consolidation?
- Why the Commission proposed wholesale data roaming cap appears to be carefully calibrated to €8.5/GB?
Report highlights and table of contents (2 pages, pdf) »
Premium research report (39 pages, pdf) »
List of all research reports and external articles
The market is changing. Mobile data pricing and network economics metrics and research reports for industry professionals