The Commission proposed wholesale data roaming cap of €8.5/GB is anomalous and will distort competition in North-Eastern mobile markets where retail gigabyte prices are competitive
27.10.2016 with Response of EU Commission DG Competition (letter dated 27.10.2016) to Rewheel’s concerns.
Key questions answered
- How low should the wholesale data roaming cap be in 2017 to avoid the distortion of competition in North-Eastern domestic mobile markets where retail gigabyte prices are competitive?
- Why the European Commission’s cost modelling methodology is dubious (produces fictitious high gigabyte costs)?
- Why the Spanish regulator cost model (different consultant) produces five times higher gigabyte cost than the Commission’s model?
- Does seasonality significantly affect the cost of data roaming services? A South European mobile operator questioned the claimed size of the calculated data roaming cost per gigabyte!
- What is the financial impact challenger MNOs and MVNOs will face with the anomalous 8.5/GB wholesale cap?
- Why BEREC, MVNO Europe and a number of North-Eastern mobile operators warned the Commission that the proposed wholesale data roaming cap will raise domestic prices, weaken competition and increase consolidation?
- Why the Commission proposed wholesale data roaming cap appears to be carefully calibrated to €8.5/GB?
Report highlights and table of contents (2 pages, pdf) »
Premium research report (39 pages, pdf) »
List of all research reports and external articles
Featured research reports
Digital Fuel Monitor 7th
May 2017 (updated 22.05.2017)
The state of 4G pricing, mobile data usage, spectrum usage, network capacity utilization and fixed-to-mobile broadband substitution. After its comeback in 2016, in 2017 unlimited mobile data goes viral and spreads to 22 countries. And while in competitive markets such as France and Denmark consumers can buy 100 or unlimited gigabytes for less than €30, in tight mobile oligopoly markets such as Portugal, Greece and Hungary €30 hardly buys any gigabytes. Europe’s mobile data divide widens further: 200x more gigabytes for €30 in smartphone plans, 600x more gigabytes in mobile broadband plans, 200x difference in median gigabyte prices, 40x difference in mobile data usage per capita and spectrum usage.
The market is changing. Mobile data pricing and network economics metrics and research reports for industry professionals