T-Mobile and Tele2 4 to 3 mobile merger in the Netherlands – Competition concerns, network efficiencies and effective remedies
This is a redacted version of the report. The European Commission included a redacted version of this full report in the file of the 4 to 3 mobile merger between T-Mobile and Tele2 in the Netherlands (merger case M.8792). The European Commission, the United States Department of Justice, a number of United States Attorney General offices, the competition authorities of Netherlands, Germany, Canada, Australia, etc. and sector regulators have acquired a license of the full report.
Are there any remedies that can remove the short and long term competitions concerns entirely?
- Has Tele2’s 4th MNO entry into the Dutch mobile market led to lower prices?
- Did the approval of the 4 to 3 mobile mergers in Austria, Ireland and Germany lead to higher prices?
- Will the proposed 4 to 3 merger of T-Mobile / Tele2 lead to higher prices and/or consumer harm?
- Will the upcoming 700/1400/2100 spectrum auction have a significant impact on effective competition?
- Could sizable 3400 – 3800 MHz spectrum assignments (and massive MIMO) reshape the Dutch broadband market?
- Absent of the merger is it likely that Tele2 and/or T-Mobile will face network capacity constraints that may significantly impede their ability to act as effective competitors in the Dutch mobile and/or broadband markets?
- How many of Tele2 sites can be reused by T-Mobile?
- Will the combination of T-Mobile’s and Tele2’s spectrum and radio network sites lead to network capacity efficiency?
- Can network capacity, coverage or speed efficiencies counteract the anticompetitive effects in 4 to 3 mobile mergers?
- Are Tele2’s current spectrum holdings (and network) substantially worse than those held by other 4th MNOs present in EU’s big countries?
- Are there any effective remedies that can remove the short and long term competition concerns entirely?
- What structural divestments and other commitments are required to create an effective 4th mobile network operator?
- What market structure is more likely to be conducive to effective competition, lower prices, faster 5G introduction and higher investments?
- According to a Stratix study Dutch mobile operators will need to spend several billion EUR each to rollout 5G in the Netherlands. Fact or fiction?
Free summary, key findings, table of contents (11 pages, pdf) »
Full release report (128 pages, pdf) »
List of all research reports and external articles
Featured research reports
The market is changing. Mobile data pricing and network economics metrics and research reports for industry professionals