4G era – Who got the most out of it?
5-year mobile service revenue trends for 143 operators present in EU28 & OECD markets. Finnish operators that executed ‘unlimited everything’ strategies were the undisputed champions of the 4G era.
- 4th MNOs got the most out of it, recording an average revenue growth of 73% the last 5 years, in declining markets!
- Incumbent (no.1, 2 and 3) operators in 4-MNO markets fared much worse than their peers in 3-MNO markets.
- While the mobile service revenue of incumbent (no.1, 2 and 3) operators in 4-MNO markets fell by an average of 12% the last 5 years, in 3-MNO markets it increased by an average of 6%.
- Worst hit were the incumbents in the 5-MNO Israeli and 4-MNO (until November 2018) Dutch markets.
- Were there any incumbent operators that managed to grow their revenue in 4-MNO markets where total revenue declined?
- Tele2 NL the no.4 MNO that was acquired by T-Mobile in 2018 more than doubled its revenue the last 5 years.
- Elsewhere, the Finnish operators and in particular Elisa recorded impressive double-digit revenue growth by executing mobile-centric ‘unlimited everything’ strategies.
- Hutchison-3 also recorded impressive double-digit revenue growth in its 4 to 3 consolidated Austrian and Irish markets.
- In 4-MNO markets mobile service revenue fell by 7% the last 5 years, in 3-MNO markets revenues increased by 7%.
- Worst hit was the 5-MNO Israeli and 4-MNO Dutch markets, closely followed by other European 4-MNO markets such as Italy, France, Spain, UK, Denmark, Poland, etc.
- Total mobile service revenue across all 41 EU28 & OECD markets was down 3%.
- Mobile service revenue per capita (~average price paid by consumers) fell the most in the 5-MNO Israeli market followed by the 4-MNO Dutch, Australian and Italian markets.
- While in the 4 to 3 consolidated Austrian, German and Irish markets consumers still pay in average roughly the same amount every month as they paid 5 years ago, in 4-MNO European markets consumers pay nowadays up to 7 EUR less and on top of that buy several or unlimited times more gigabytes than consumers in consolidated markets!
Free summary, key findings, table of contents (7 pages, pdf) »
Full release report (27 pages, pdf) »
List of all research reports and external articles
Featured research reports
The market is changing. Mobile data pricing and network economics metrics and research reports for industry professionals