Unlimited mobile data – Why Finland is different
... and why operators in other markets can’t easily replicate the Finnish model
- Monthly prices of smartphone plans fell in all EU28 & OECD markets the last 5 years, except in Finland.
- The median monthly price of 4G&5G smartphone plans in Finland was 20% higher in 2H2019 than in 1H2014.
- The median monthly price of 4G&5G mobile broadband plans in Finland was 100% higher in 2H2019 than in 1H2014.
- Mobile service revenue grew every year the last 5 years in Finland. In 2019 it was 16% higher than in 2014.
- The Finnish commercial model is a win-win, for consumers and operators.
- Why is the Finnish commercial model so resilient to price erosion pressures?
- In which markets operators might be able to successfully replicate the Finnish model?
- The median monthly price of 4G&5G smartphone plans in OECD markets fell from 45 EUR in 1H2014 to 25 EUR in 2H2019.
- The median monthly price of 4G&5G smartphone plans in EU markets fell from 35 EUR in 1H2014 to 20 EUR in 2H2019.
- In Finland the median monthly price of 4G&5G smartphone plans increased from 25 EUR to 30 EUR and the median monthly price of 4G&5G mobile/home broadband plans increased from 15 EUR to 30 EUR. Why?
Free summary, key findings, table of contents (5 pages, pdf) »
Full release report (38 pages, pdf) »
List of all research reports and external articles
Featured research reports
The market is changing. Mobile data pricing and network economics metrics and research reports for industry professionals