Review of mobile data connectivity competitiveness in Greece within the wider context of digital economy competitiveness
Rewheel research study commissioned by the Hellenic Competition Commission
The European Commission ranked Greece as the least competitive EU member state in fixed and mobile broadband connectivity the last 5 years.
Greece has also consistently ranked the last 5 years as one of the most expensive EU28 & OECD countries in the European Commission’s annual mobile broadband price comparison studies, and as well in Rewheel’s bi-annual Digital Fuel Monitor international mobile data connectivity price comparison studies.
The document below has Rewheel’s response to the inaccurate statements, misrepresentations and misleading claims made by the Greek national regulatory authority for Telecommunications (in short EETT), Vodafone Greece and other unnamed industry sources in Greece following the publication by the Hellenic Competition Commission (in short HCC) of Rewheel’s study ‘Review of mobile data connectivity competitiveness in Greece within the wider context of digital economy competitiveness’ that was commissioned by the HCC.
- Are the latest (March 2020) mobile data connectivity prices in Greece still very expensive?
- Are Greek mobile connectivity prices expensive due to the mobile telephony tax?
- Why have the Greek mobile data connectivity prices been and still are very expensive?
- Is the Greek mobile market a 3-MNO tight oligopoly market?
- Can the three Greek operators deploy 5G independently without any significant increase in CAPEX spending?
- Does the active mobile network sharing agreement between Vodafone and Wind restrict competition?
- What measures are necessary to lower the barriers of entry and encourage a 4th mobile network operator (MNO) entry?
- What ex-ante and ex-post measures could potentially remedy the competition restrictions in the absence of a 4th MNO entry?
The document has been updated with Rewheel’s response to the inaccurate statements which were attributed to Wind Hellas on
the 11th of May 2020 in a story reported by Euro2day.gr
Rewheel's ammended response (8 pages, pdf) »
Free summary, key findings, table of contents (29 pages, pdf) »
June 2020 updates
June 2020 price benchmark – Greece versus 19 EU & OECD countries, free summary, English (3 pages, pdf) »
June 2020 price benchmark – Greece versus 19 EU & OECD countries, free summary, Greek (4 pages, pdf) »
List of all research reports and external articles